top of page
< Back
Homebirth: Postcode


Year of baby's birth


Satisfaction with care from midwives: 

ExcellentVery poorNot greatGoodGreatExcellent

Satisfaction with care from obstetricians:

Very poorNot greatGoodGreatExcellent

Satisfaction with care from GP:

Very poorNot greatGoodGreatExcellent

Satisfaction with quality of processes/facilities:

Very poorNot greatGoodGreatExcellent

Satisfaction with birth experience overall:

GreatVery poorNot greatGoodGreatExcellent

Model of care

Private midwife

Why did you choose this model of care?

I didn’t want to go through the hospital system because I don’t trust hospital policy and also doctors make me nervous. I wanted a known midwife who I could build a relationship with and birth safety with.

What were your choices for this birth?

Water immersion for labour and birth, Support for normal vaginal birth, Homebirth with a registered private midwife, Unmedicalised birth process, Birth support team of my choice (no visitor restrictions)

How did your birth start?

Spontaneous labour (started naturally)

What were your outcomes?

Birth support team of my choice, Water immersion for labour, Water immersion for birth, Instinctive pushing (ie not coached), Grazing/1st-2nd degree tear, Vaginal birth, Physiological 3rd stage (natural placenta birth without syntocinon), Breech birth

Details of experience

Our baby boy came at home on his due date after my waters began slowly trickling out at 5pm. Surges began at about 9:30, and then ramped up very quickly. Pushing by 11:30, waiting for midwives to arrive. Got in the bath about then, which momentarily felt better but then carried on being an intense wild ride of pushing. It was just my partner and I until 12:30 when our second midwife and an observer midwife arrived. They provided some good reassurance. The first midwife arrived just as soon as the bum and balls of my baby emerged to everyone’s surprise!! This was at 1:30am. Took about eight minutes to get his head out. He was an almost perfectly executed Frank breech but his head needed some help tucking his chin in so that he could come down. Finally came out after a lot of effort and moving from all fours to standing. He had good tone throughout, however was a little bit out of it by the time he exited fully. Was put on my chest immediately where he had some oxygen, rubbing, talking and some little compressions. After five mins his apgar was 8 so all good. The ambulance was called just in case so they had arrived promptly but weren’t required in the end so stood in the kitchen respectively and kept their distance and let the midwives handle it which was great. They left again without having to intervene. Birthed the placenta when I got out of the pool, 20 minutes later. We stayed attached until I was ready to cut the cord. We sat in bed whilst I recovered and got stitches and held my precious baby breech boy. We were all happy and healthy by the morning!

bottom of page